post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-1879,single-format-standard,bridge-core-2.1.2,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1300,qode-theme-ver-19.9,qode-theme-bridge,disabled_footer_top,disabled_footer_bottom,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.2.0,vc_responsive




I am close. But, as they say, stogie-less.

As if on cue, the wind evaporated at noon yesterday. It made a brief appearance between 0400 and 0730 this morning when the cloud you see here went over us. Right now, however, it is the same old same old. We are becalmed on a rolly sea.

I am some 70 miles or so South of Oahu and expect at least some wind today. The forecast looks on the promising side of hopeful. With a bit of luck, I’ll get far enough Northwest on whatever wind there is today to make it into Kauai Channel. The channel is 30 miles wide at least but after travelling 25,626 miles at last count to get here, it feels a bit like threading a needle.

The only hint of any of the Islands was the loom of lights on the cloud bases overtop of Oahu. Even those disappeared behind showers as the night wore on. I would be worried but managed decent star shots last night and I am certain of my navigation. With absolute confidence, I can say I am close. And just as confidently, no cigar.

Follow my tracks in real-time:


1 Comment
  • BT
    Posted at 10:41h, 02 July Reply

    Bert, you are amazing! Following you progress and posts with great admiration for you courage and wishing / willing you success. You are on the downhill run now. All the best from an Aussie follower BT ( 2 degrees of separation from your Uncle Joe).

Post A Comment