post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-1585,single-format-standard,bridge-core-2.7.2,qode-page-transition-enabled,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1300,qode-theme-ver-27.9,qode-theme-bridge,disabled_footer_top,disabled_footer_bottom,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.10.0,vc_responsive




This is what’s leftover after this morning’s cold front’s final hurrah. These were taken after the swell and wind waves had gone down and I was brave enough to take the iPad into the cockpit.

Make no mistake: I am not anxious to see these same conditions any time soon. To say I was not frightened would be untrue. It is OK to be scared s***less. You just can’t be scared witless.

Last night when I could not get the Monitor to hold a course and we were being swept by the breaking seas, I could think of nothing else but the forecast increase in swell and wind wave. What then? What options then? I could only think of laying to a drogue or warps p, both poor options as they would cost us time and only serve to expose us on the low following close astern.

With Seaburban basically hove to as the Monitor air blade flailed uselessly in the gale force winds, I set an alarm for 90 minutes and tried to sleep. I was woken by a breaking wave smashing our starboard side, shredding part of the nav station companionway dodger and pouring after down the companionway hatch. It was time to do something. Anything but this.

Dressed and outside predawn, the cockpit well swirling with water, I realized the Monitor need not steer. I can steer. I didn’t need to steer long, just long enough for the wind to shift to the Southwest. Facing backwards to watch the waves catch us up, I stepped into the well and with water up to my knees, brought Seaburban’s stern to face the wind and whatever swell or wave came our way. Seven hours later, I stepped out and set the Monitor to steer a course due East.

I may be many things, but I know I am persistent. And persistence pays.

Follow my tracks in real-time: